Puppies require vaccinations against fatal illnesses. These are Parvovirus, Distemper, Hepatitis, Canine Cough, Leptospirosis and Coronavirus.
Puppies are vaccinated:
|from 6-8 weeks||Due __________|
|at 10-12 weeks||Due __________|
|at 14-16 weeks||Due __________|
Then a yearly booster vaccination and health check.
To control hookworm, whipworm, roundworm and tapeworm:
- Worm every 2 weeks until 12 weeks old
- then monthly until 6 months old
- then every 3 months.
We recommend Drontal all-wormer or a similar all-wormer.
- Proheart injection from 3 or 6 months old
- Tablets or spot on products
- eg. Tablets: Interceptor, Sentinel, HeartGard
- eg. Spot on preparations: Revolution and Advocate
Usually 6 months of age.
Monthly “spot on” – Advantage, Frontline, Revolution, and Advocate or Frontline spray.
Monthly tablet – Nexgard.
- Spot on: Frontline or Advantix every 2 weeks
- Tick Collars: Kiltix Collar replaced every 6 weeks. Preventic Collar lasts up to 8 weeks.
- Tablets: Nexgard given every month to dogs
Good nutrition is very important. Hill’s Science Diet, Royal Canin, Eukanuba & IAMS are all premium quality foods, specifically designed to meet your puppy’s nutritional requirements. We recommend large breed diet food for dogs over 25kg as adults.
A microchip is a permanent means of identification and can be implanted in a consultation or at de-sexing when asleep.
Puppy preschool is held at our surgery. The course is one hour each week for 4 weeks. Please speak to one of our nurses to enrol.
Highly recommended. Many companies now offer comprehensive cover. Conditions vary. Check RACQ/Suncorp Home and Contents insurances.
Thank you for choosing Albany Creek Veterinary Surgery for your pet’s healthcare.
By Albany Creek Veterinary Surgery
Last updated on 12 September 2019